Monday, December 12, 2011

our wedding

It's time to post about our big day :)
I woke up pretty early that morning with a big smile on my face {so excited to be marrying my best friend!} and sat on the balcony for a little while. The view was breathtaking. As I watched the sunrise, I spent some time counting my blessings. I was so thankful to be in beautiful Maui, surrounded by family and friends who were there to celebrate with us. This was the day I had been waiting for for what seems like forever, and I truly could not have been happier. After a while, I called my mom and we decided to take a walk along the beach. We then decided to head into Kahului to run some errands {aka pick up some pineapple champagne for the room}

When we got back to Lahaina, it was time for our makeup appointment. We got our makeup done at the Sephora in Whaler's Village. The woman who did our makeup was referred to us by a family friend who lives in Maui. She did an amazing job and was so sweet. We then headed back to the Royal Lahaina to relax and finish getting ready.

I was very calm all day. Really, I {and Alex} had been pretty calm throughout the whole planning process. We are typically really relaxed people so this wasn't out of character but since it was my wedding, and it seems like everyone gets a little crazy when planning their wedding, I was kind of expecting that it would hit me on the day of but I made it through most of the day with no stress.

Until the shirt incident.

As we were getting ready, I stepped onto my balcony to take a look at the wedding site and see if any guests had shown up {loved that our room overlooked where the ceremony was held!} and I see Alex and his groomsmen walking around. They all looked great but then I noticed that one of the groomsmen was wearing a blue shirt. It was supposed to be ivory. I thought I was being a cool, easy bride when I bought the pants for the boys and sent them all emails with instructions to wear any "cream/ivory" shirt of their choice. But Jon showed up in a blue shirt. Luckily, my sister in law knew her husband was wearing a cream shirt so she called him and the two guys switched :)
Really, it wasn't a big deal. But there had to be something right?

Anyways, after the shirt incident was taken care of, it was time to head downstairs and get the show on the road! Right as the ceremony was about to start, a nice rain cloud parked itself right over the ceremony location. If I was going to do it, this was my time to unleash my inner bridezilla but I didn't. We all embraced the rain and were told by many locals that it was good luck :) It definitely made our ceremony memorable :-P

After the ceremony we spent some time with our photographer taking pictures. If you are ever looking for a photographer on Maui whether it be for weddings, a couple shoot or a family portrait session, definitely look up Jenna Strubhar.




In lieu of a "traditional" reception, we headed to the Old Lahaina Luau for dinner and a show. It was a great night and we are both so glad that we decided on a luau.


The luau ended pretty early so we continued the party with some dancing at a local bar, Moose McGillycuddy's


Our wedding day was better than I could have ever imagined it to be. It fit us perfectly. Thank you to all of our friends and family who were able to make it to Maui and to those who sent us love from all over the world.

xoxo,
the newest Byrd

No comments:

Post a Comment